- Both children and adults can renew their ID card by post, since fingerprints are not needed. If you order the documents by post you have to pay the state fee “In Estonia”
- If you use Estonian e-services (ID card, mobile ID or via Estonian online banks) you can submit your application at Police and Border Guard’s online service center
- ID card will not be sent by post, it has to be picked up in person at the Embassy or at Honorary Consul’s.
- Passports for children over 12 years of age and adults can be ordered by post, if less than 5 years have passed since giving fingerprints. If you order the documents by post you have to pay the state fee “In Estonia”
- Passport for a child under 12 can be ordered by post.
- Passport will not be sent by post, it has to be picked up in person at the Embassy or at Honorary Consul’s.
When you’re applying for the first document you have to add:
- Birth certificate (with both parents names on it) with an apostille
- Additional form
- Only in the case of a child: if both parents are not Estonian citizens then other parent’s written consent (22 KB, DOC) and copy of passport.
From April 29, 2019 only digital photos are accepted. Before coming to apply for documents the photo has to be sent to e-mail email@example.com, adding applicant’s name and personal identification code/ date of birth. Please e-mail your digital photo yourself, do not bring it to the Embassy. No photos can be made at the Embassy.
Paper photos will be accepted under special circumstances, but if it is impossible to obtain a high quality scan of the photo the citizen has to provide a digital photograph.
Requirements for document photograph are listed on the homepage of Police and Border Guard Board. Photos made at home with personal cameras or smartphones are accepted.
What to remember when you come to apply for a passport / ID card at the Embassy:
- Always make an appointment.
- Fill out the standard application form (in English, in Estonian, in Russian).
- Make sure that you e-mailed your digital photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In case of change of name: a copy of your spouse’s passport and your Marriage Certificate with an apostille .
- State fee in cash. Exact sum of state fee depends on EUR- USD exchange rate.